By BASMA MOHAMMED, Posted on » Sunday, May 31, 2009
AN initiative that claims to train young Bahrainis how to stage peaceful protests is due to resume next month – after five of its six trainers were released from prison.
It was launched by the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights (BYSHR) in 2007, but stopped when five trainers were rounded up in connection with an alleged terrorist plot.
The men were among 35 suspects arrested for allegedly plotting to bomb targets during celebrations to mark National Day last December.
However, society president and Non-Violent Centre founder Mohammed Al Maskati denied that they were planning terrorist attacks and claimed they were targeted for non-criminal activities.
Bahrain: Reopening a Center for Training on Non-Violent Strategies
30 May 2009
The Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights said today that it will reopen its center “Non-violent Youth”, and which the BYSHR established in 2007 with the help of activists in the civil committees and institutions.
The BYSHR indicated that the Center will train youth on non-violent strategies, and that the Society had suspended the activities of the Center due to the arrest of the members working in it.
Mr. Mohammed Al-Maskati, president of the BYSHR, said, “The Non-Violent Center is the only youth center in the region which specializes in training youth on carrying out non-violent strategies and which play a role in securing the principals of human rights in the society and achieving democracy and liberty”.
Teenager’s kidnap claims are probed
By BEGENA P PRADEEP, Posted on » Thursday, May 28, 2009
POLICE are investigating claims that a Bahraini teenager was kidnapped from his home, beaten and dumped on a nearby wasteland.
Sayed Adnan Sayed Jaffar, aged 16, was allegedly kidnapped from outside his Hamad Town home at around 3.30am last Thursday.
He was found by a neighbour on nearby wasteland at around 4.50am, his father Sayed Jaffar told the GDN yesterday.
He said the teenager, one of 178 people freed after being pardoned for various offences last month by His Majesty King Hamad, was in such a state that they called an ambulance.
Bahrain: Kidnap and Assault of a Young Boy after his Release among the Royal Pardon
24 May 2009
The Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights expresses its deep concern regarding the information received on the assault of Sayed Adnan Sayed Majeed – 16 years of age – after he was kidnapped by a group of people wearing civilian clothes near his home in Hamad Town, south of the country.
Sayed Adnan left Salmaniya hospital after he was treated and proved to have bruises in his neck. Sayed Adnan had informed the representatives of the BYSHR that on 21 May at 3:30 am, while he was near his home, two men wearing civilian clothes and masks to cover their faces attacked him. The two covered up his head by using a cover. He tried to resist but he failed to escape. They then forced him into a car with two others in it. He was taken to a remote area that is almost 15 minutes away, then he was beaten first on his back then was assaulted with shoes for almost 30 minutes. He was then asked for the reason he goes to pray in Al-Saddiq mosque, and where the prayer is led by Hasan Mushaimea, president of Haq Movement. He was threatened to be taken next time to the “Qalaa” and not to the Criminal Investigation building. Unknown people then returned him to an open area near his home.
Bahrain: A campaign to defame a human rights defender who was severely beaten and to discredit national and international human rights organizations
May 19, 2009
After a wave of rage and mounting national and international pressure to investigate the severe assault on May 7, 2009 against human rights defender Ja’far Kadhim Ibrahim, the Bahrain authorities changed their version of the story as to the motives of the individuals behind the incident. On the 9th of May, 2009, a security official stated to local newspapers, that the incident was a robbery, while on the 16th of May, a new official story was revealed to the press claiming that Ja’far Kadhim was abducted and beaten by two brothers of a women who was involved in an affair with Ja’far Kadhim.
for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
BHR 002 / 0509 / OBS 071
May 13, 2009
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a joint programme of the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), has received new information and requests your urgent intervention in the following situation in Bahrain.
Brief description of the situation:
The Observatory has been informed by the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights (BCHR) of the abduction and attack suffered by Mr. Jaafar Kadhim, who works for the Committee of Activists and Prisoners of Conscience.
According to the information received, on May 7, 2009 at 8.45 pm, while Mr. Jaafar Kadhim was driving close to the Jidhafs Medical Centre, west of the capital Manama, his car was stopped by two cars, and he was pulled from his car, his eyes were blind folded and he was taken for a 10-15 minutes by five or six men in plain clothes drive to an unknown area where he was severely beaten until he lost consciousness.
Bahrain: Abduction and beating of human rights defender, Mr Jaafar Kadhim
Front Line is deeply concerned following reports of the abduction and beating of human rights defender Mr Jaafar Kadhim in Manama, on 7 May 2009. Jaafar Kadhim has worked for the Committee of Activists and Prisoners of Conscience since December 2007 and has helped to organise peaceful marches and protests for the rights of detainees. In 2007-2008 he hosted many meetings in his house between relatives of detainees and visiting foreign journalists and international human rights organisations such as Amnesty International. Front Line previously issued an appeal concerning the detention of Jaafar Kadhim on 5 February 2009.
On 7 May 2009, at approximately 8.45pm, Jaafar Kadhim was abducted by a group of men in plain clothes driving two separate cars, a red Tida and a grey Lancer. Jaafar Kadhim was driving his own car near Jidhafs Medical Center, west of Manama, when his car was stopped by the men in the two cars. They pulled the human rights defender out of his car and blindfolded him. He was then driven for about 10 minutes to an unknown destination where he was severely beaten until he eventually lost consciousness. When he regained consciousness he managed to find his way to the nearby house of his friend Mr Hassan Mushaima from where he was transferred to hospital by ambulance.
Front Line is deeply concerned for the physical and psychological integrity of Jaafar Kadhim and believes that the abduction and beating of this human rights defender is an attempt to sanction him for his peaceful and legitimate work in defence of human rights.
See it …..
Share it …..
Move Now ……